Sunday, January 30, 2011

More to look forward to….


After I posted my last blog entry I checked my email to find from my neighbor, Margaret, a picture she took a couple days ago and sent me.  I was on my way back to my room after an afternoon of filming this or that.  She asked if she could take my picture as I looked so colorful.  Being the ham that I am I struck a few poses for her and this is the one she sent me.

I was on a mission yesterday afternoon.  I was bound and determined to find Nelson Young, the famous painter of the island.  I knew from what his uncle told me the general direction and so I walked and walked.  Just as I was about ready to give it up I came to Young’s Ciber Café.  “Hmmmm,” I said to myself.  “Could this be another relative?”  I went inside to inquire and found out it was another relative, cousin to be exact.  He pointed me in the right direction.  Upon entering Mr. Young’s residence the writings labeled throughout his front yard indicate Rastafarian.  As I walked up his steps I was pretty sure no one was home.  After knocking a couple times on the door my suspicions were correct.  But I left a post it note and my business card before departing his lush and tropical paradise.

By the time I got home my stomach was growling and had tuna on hand.  I also had cucumbers, tomato, onion, green pepper that I had picked up at a fresh produce vender the day before.  So my meal for the night consisted of a tuna fish sandwich with onions, mayonnaise and a cucumber salad with the remaining veggies.

As I was preparing my meal I saw from across the street the soccer team was warming up.  Caye Caulker was to play the San Pedro team.  So that was fun to watch in the evening.  Now I did get footage of the game as well as a pan shot of the spectators but it was a very challenging and tedious filming as you never know where the ball was going to go.  Before posting some of that footage I’d like to interview the coach from the team.  I will say for the mean time that this sport is quite popular here and you could tell by the onlookers.  The sidelines were crowded and the people (ranging from babies to seniors) were exchanging social interaction with each other.  Laughter, cheers and talking (in multiple languages) could be heard within the surrounding area.  The game ended in a draw as both teams were very good. 

Before the game began I got a call from Nelson Young who appeared excited at the prospect of an interview and so early this afternoon I will be visiting with him and hopefully lend insight into art.

No comments:

Post a Comment