Monday, January 31, 2011

It was a great interview with artist, Nelson Young



I will try my best to sum up a two and a half hour interview with highly recognized Belizean artist, Nelson Young.

As I walked up to Young's home there were many writings grouped in front of his house.  I was welcomed into his home and we sat on his back deck where the shade and breeze created a most lovely setting to conduct this interview.  He is a very easy individual to speak with and his passion in life and his art is evident in the words he spoke to me.



Nelson was born on Caye Caulker and later went to school in Belize City.  After being in Mexico for a time he went to New York City.  Originally starting in wood carving he went on to create designs on t-shirts.  He stayed there for about 5 years where he met his wife and moved to Sweden.  His first international exhibit was held in Stockholm.  He moved back to Caye Caulker in 1987 and began establishing Belize art all around the country.

As I looked at his portfolio I could see the evolution of his paintings.




At the end of the interview he offered me fresh coconut milk straight from the fruit, cut with his machete.



While I have reviewed the raw footage there is much more I’d like to include and so in the mean time if you would like to know more about Nelson Young I found a few sites via just googling Belizean artist, Nelson Young.

On Caye Caulker the various art galleries display his work for sale.  Nelson Young's work is quite distinctive.  It definately stands out.







I found one site that displays his work for sale.

http://www.cybercayecaulker.com/nelsonyoung.htm


3 comments:

  1. So good to learn that Mr Young is going strong. When I was in Belize in 1990 I went up to Caye Caulker for a couple of evenings and found some framed prints of his works. I purchased a few of them and they hang in my home still.
    I was struck by his Gauginesque painting style of the area. Always wanted an original. Some day I hope to see his work again.
    Peace and warm wishes,
    DE

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to learn that Mr Young is going strong. When I was in Belize in 1990 I went up to Caye Caulker for a couple of evenings and found some framed prints of his works. I purchased a few of them and they hang in my home still.
    I was struck by his Gauginesque painting style of the area. Always wanted an original. Some day I hope to see his work again.
    Peace and warm wishes,
    DE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful comments. I too will be heading back to Caulker and hope to catch up with Mr.Young at that time!

      Delete